- For beginners, seeing groups of related words can help.
- Check out our free lessons arranged by topic and level.
- See our picture dictionary.
- Check out our vocabulary picture quizzes.
Pictures and associations
Context and Exposure
- See or hear the vocabulary used in context
- Sample contexts: reading material, audio, video, conversation
- Sometimes you can guess meaning from the situation.
- What type of word is it (noun, verb, adjective)?
- Look at the words around it.
- Try to read or listen to as much English as possible.
- See our Vocabulary Links here.
Choose from a variety of sources
Recognize collocations (words that go together)
- Some words are commonly used with other words
- See our lists of collocations: with verbs, with prepositions.
Consider connotations and multiple meanings of words
- Some words carry special or emotional meanings
- Example: house vs. home
- Some words can have many different meanings
- Example: play, set, run